Glass Industry Comes to
Beckett and Jacob P. Fisler, great grand-son of Felix Fisler, bought
80 acres of land and began to erect buildings needed for a glass factory. The firm of
Beckett & Fisler built five
dwelling-houses, a storehouse and barn. In less than one year, the company dissolved
when Mr. Beckett withdrew from the enterprise.
Jacob P. Fisler, then joined forces
with Edward Bacon and the firm of Fisler & Bacon prospered.
1856: Mr. Bacon was killed in a railroad accident and the
company was dissolved.
Mayhew Moore, of Milllville, NJ, purchased
the Fisler & Bacon firm, the stock and business, and rented the property as
a sole owner of the business. In a few
months, he purchased all the real estate owned by the factory and started manufacturing
John Mayhew Moore took two partners,
George C. Hewitt and Jeremiah D. Hogate.
The firm operated under the name of John
M. Moore & Co.
1863: George C. Hewitt sold his interest to D.
Wilson Moore, a brother of John Mayhew
Moore, changing the firm's name to Moore
Brothers & Co., Fislerville Glass Works.
Moore Brothers & Co. issue scrip,
non cash vouchers, to their employees for use at their company store. Scrip
Brothers & Co., Fislerville Glass Works."
Jeremiah D. Hogate sold his interest to both brothers, John M. and D. Wilson, now
establishing the firm of Moore Brothers. The firm grew steadily especially
during the American Civil War. Moore Brothers covered fifteen acres, with a gristmill, sawmill, a machine
carpenter shop, five storage
warehouses, a large general store, offices and railroad tracks that ran
the entire grounds.
1880: The two brothers associate themselves with Francis M. Pierce, Harry Steelman and Charles F. Fisler and the firm took the name of Moore Brothers & Co.
1888: "John M. Moore, Wilson D. Moore and Frank Pierce purchased the old glass works known as Fisler & Morgan Works." (The Post, Camden, N. J. Feb. 14, 1888)
1912: The Moore Brothers & Co. ended production with the arrival of automation in glass manufacturing.
FISLER & MORGAN COMPANY
1880: Charles F. Fisler withdraws from Moore Brothers, and along with Albert S. Fisler, Henry Morgan and Walter Morgan start the new firm Fisler & Morgan Glass Company and begin operations in the north end of town.
1888: "The Fisler & Morgan Glass Works were sold by the assignees to Mrs. Fisler, for $8,100.00." (West Jersey Press, Feb. 08, 1888)
1881: "It is stated that a new glass factory is
about to be put in operation in Clayton, under the firm title of
Iszard, Fisler & Co." (Camden
Democrat, Jan. 08, 1881)
1886: " A company has been organized at Clayton
to conduct the Fisler
glass works. The new enterprise
has a capital of
$25,000.00, and will be known as the
Clayton Bottle Works. Operations will begin as soon as
the factory can be put in proper condition"' (Courier Post, Nov. 22, 1886)